Oh My. I am an awful blogger. But here are some Cinnamon Rolls to make you forgive me.

It is true. I am an awful blogger. I haven't updated in months. The sad thing is that I have recipes ready and waiting on my camera.




These have become an instant favorite with everyone that has tried them. I am waiting one one review from Bethany over at A Fish Who Likes Flowers and her Amazing Boyfriend Matthew. I baked a big batch for my Fairy God Mother and her family, and made sure to make a small batch for Beffy and Matthew. They are supposed to be baking them this morning, so we'll see how they like them.

Also, a little side note. This is a recipe that you will need a big stand mixer to make. I'm sure you could do it by hand, but you'd have to have Super Man's Muscles to knead the dough that much.

Here's what you'll need.

For the Dough:

1 1/2 teaspoons of yeast (or one of those little packet things)
1/2 teaspoon  + 1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup hot water (about 115 degrees)
1/2 cup mile (at room temp_
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg + 1 yolk
2 3/4 cups flour (Plus more for kneading)
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter (at room temp and cut into pats)
6 oz cream cream cheese (at room temp


For the filling:

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup raisins
2 tablespoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
4 tablespoons maple syrup
1 cup butter (at room temp)


So this is a fairly long process, but it is SOOOOO delicious, it's all worth it. I like to make mine the night before and let them rise overnight, so all I have to do in the morning is make my coffee and pop them in the oven.

Start with your yeast, 1/2 teaspoon of sugar and hot water. Pour it into your mixing bowl and gice it a quick stir with a spoon. Let it sit untouched for about 10 minutes until it starts to get foamy.



Add the rest of the sugar, milk, brown sugar, vanilla and egg+yolk. Mix gently by hand until every thing is blended.

Add flour and salt. Mix on medium speed until the dough just begins to come together. Turn your mixer on medium high and let it mix for 4 minutes. (be sure to watch the clock. If you mix dough too long it will be tough and chewy. And really, that would just be awful.)

Stop the mixer, sprinkle butter pats all around the mixer and start mixing again. Still on medium high for another 6 minutes.

While the dough is going, get a large flat surface well floured. (I use out big cutting board, I just put it on the counter)

Scoop your blob onto the floured surface. It will be pretty gooey. Get about 1/3 of a cup of flour and start kneading it into the blob



Just until it starts to resemble dough and not a gooey blob.


Place the dough in a well greased bowl and cover with saran wrap and then a dry towel. Place in a warm area (I put mine on top of our heater vents) for about and hour to an hour and a half. Just until it doubles in size.

This is when I make the filling. It's pretty simple. Put everything (except the raisins and pecans) into a bowl and mix until everything is incorporated. You can do it by hand or int he mixer, it all tastes the same.

>>Side tip. I really love the golden raisins in this recipe. But I will also use my grandmas home dried raisins that she sends me in care packages, because well, let's be honest... She's the best grandma ever. But since you can't get my grandma's home dried raisins (unless you're my sister or my cousin Heather), I'd suggest the golden raisins.

Back to the dough! When the dough had doubled in size place it back on your well floured surface,



Add another 3 tablespoons or so and knead until no longer sticky.

Place the dough back into the bowl and let rest another 5 minutes.

Now pull out a rolling pin and flour it up.

Roll your dough out until it's about 20 inches x 20 inches.

Take your cream cheese and spread it out over the whole thing. Be really gentle so you don't tear the dough.

Now fold your dough into thirds like an envalope. The fold the long ways into thirds again.

Place seam side down and SUPER gently roll out again until it's about 10 inches x 20 inches.

Time to spread out the filling until it's all covered. Now take the pecans and raisins and sprinkle over the top and them press everything down.

Roll your dough gently. Try and make the seam so it's on the bottom. Take a thin, SHARP knife and cut into 8-12 rounds (depends on how big you want them)

You should probably trim off the edges to make them all pretty, but I think that is a waste of perfectly good dough and just bake it in a separate dish to eat later.

Place your rolls into a well greased 9x13 pan and cover with saran wrap.

Let sit for 2 hours in a warm place or over night in the fridge to raise some more.

Before you bake them, brush with some melted butter.

Bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes.

I like to use a simple icing on top.

2 cups powdered sugar and 2 1/2 tablespoons milk. Mix well. Pour over hot cinnamon rolls.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

About this blog

About Me

My photo
Salem, Oregon, United States
I love most things in life. Except beets and sushi. Beets and sushi can die.

People who are interested in what I have to say

Powered by Blogger.

Schippers' Kids

Schippers' Kids

Search This Blog